Test your Internet Speed
When your Internet speed may not appear to be as fast as you would like it to be, you can test your speed to ensure your Internet connection is working properly.
What you need to know
Some valuable information and tips to help you understand and fix Internet problems:
- Due to the unavailability of other network either DSL or Cable on the area, area congestion can occur. It is subject to cause drop on the speed with certain ratio depending on congestion rate to cover the huge usage in the area. Most ISPs will have the same congestion in the same area and won't be able to bring a solution in a short period of time. However, our support team will always try at their best to maintain your speed as fast as possible.
- Restarting your modem, router (if you have one) and computer establishes a new Internet connection and resolves 90% of common problem
- Ensure the length of your cables (RJ45 and RJ11 or coaxial cables) within 6 feet in length to prevent any loss of service quality due to the cables length.
- If you are using a router or Home Gateway modem, your Internet speed will diminish when multiple devices are connected to your network. Please make sure to have only one device to get the best speed.
- Multiple active applications running on your computer can have a negative impact of both computer and Internet speed. Close or disable any unnecessary applications.
- File sharing and media streaming applications and programs consume a large amount of bandwidth and negatively impact your Internet speed.
- Clearing your browser's cache and cookies can often resolve slow browsing issues.
- Malware and spyware will often slow down the performance of your computer makes internet browsing slow as well. If you have security software installed on your computer, run a full scan.
- Due to technical limitation of wireless network, it is always strongly recommend to use Ethernet wired connection to receive full speed. This is the most accurate way of determining your actual Internet speed. It will also help you to determine if your speed issues are related to your service line, modem, or you home Wi-Fi network.
- GTA Telecom does not support third-party routers. Please refer to the manufacturer's documentation.
If you would like to accurately test your Internet speed when you think it may be slow, do the following:
- Connect your pc directly to the modem.
- Visit and test speed @ www.speedtest.net (Click on ‘Go’ to start test).
- Please check and record ping, download speed, upload speed and Result ID for your reference.
If your test result is still very far from your service level, click here to report.